2ND WORLD CONFERENCE OF WOMEN'S SHELTERS
for more details please visit www.worldshelterconference.org
Discovering the Common Core:
The first World Conference of Women's Shelters was held from September 8-11, 2008 and fulfilled its objectives by presenting a new opportunity for family violence prevention workers in Canada and around the world to network, to share proven innovations, and to learn from international experts and each other.
By all accounts the conference did that and more. Outcomes include:
- tracking best practices learned;
- interest in international data collection of global shelter statistics;
- establishing international communities of practice;
- linking conference delegates via e-mail lists;
- disseminating plenary and electronic presentations through the conference website;
- possible production of a documentary tracking outcomes of the conference worldwide;
- local, national and international networks established
- meetings of national organizations;
- linkages to support ongoing research projects;
- increased media awareness;
- increased public awareness;
- renewed hope and energy in continuing to work for positive change
As one delegate put it:
[I]... wish to start by saying, as you already†know, the conference was super extra.. It was inspiring, empowering, I learn a lot, I discover a lot of women that deal with the same preoccupation and challenge as I do and they are all around the world! It gives me the power and the energy the keep pushing to get what we need here...
To view or download the electronic files presented at conference workshops, simply click on the Agenda with Conference Presentations tab. Then click on a workshop title to see the list of electronic files.
Thank you to our generous sponsors, our hardworking and friendly volunteers and a special thanks to our delegates for sharing your expertise, your experiences and your commitment to making the world a safer place.